Who’s on your team? Agent, manager, acting coach, vocal coach? Do you trust your team? I sure hope so. Question is, how much work and effort did you put into finding and building your team? I refer to them as your team because they are there to help you navigate this sometimes crazy and ruthless business, every step of the way. They have your front, back and middle.
With each member of your team, you have to make sure you are confident in their ability to help you reach your goals. Don’t be distracted by the shiny lights and empty promises. Do your homework. I don’t know what I did before the world of Google, now I can’t live without it. Keep in mind, when you google a person or company some of the information you may find should be absorbed with a grain of salt. There’s always some disgruntled customer wandering around in cyberspace. Their issue may be an isolated incident. As always, use you’re instincts, that’s what they’re there for.
Here are some general tips for “picking” your team:
- Level of Experience.
- The ability to connect with them beneath the surface.
- Understand that you don’t have to be best friends in order to have a successful partnership.
- Honesty on both sides. A relationship that’s built on anything but honesty will ultimately fail. You want someone who will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.
- Instincts. Go with them. Everything that comes in a pretty package, isn’t always so pretty.
- If it seems to easy, chances are it probably is.
- Stay away from the gossip mill, stay focused on you and what’s best for your journey.
- Buyer beware of anyone asking you what your total household income is. (I’ll have another post dedicated to questions like this aka scams soon)